Last week I made Chicken Parmesan for the first time...and definitely not the last time. It is delicious! I haven't even heard about this dish until I found recipe in Cook’s Illustrated.
I found out that Chicken Parmesan is very popular in Australia's pubs :).
Prepare Marinara Sauce from my recipe: link!
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated with my changes.
Ingredients for 4 people (on photos you can see just to chicken breasts as I made dinner just for two people):
- 4 small chicken breasts or 2 big (then halved it horizontally)
- paprika powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup panko
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 large egg
- 4 mozzarella slices
- fresh basil
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika.
2. Cover bowl with the kitchen foil and put into fridge for few hours.
3. Mix together: parmesan, panko, half a teaspoon pepper, oregano, and garlic powder.
4. Mix egg with flour for a fine batter.
5. Dredge chicken in egg mixture coating both sides and allowing excess to run off.
6. Immediately coat both sides of breasts in parmesan mixture. Press gently to allow crumbs to adhere.
7. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
8. Place cutlets into oven proof dish and cover each breast with mozzarella slice.
9. Broil in oven until mozzarella is melted and beginning to brown.
10. Serve warm with hot Marinara Sauce.