I love home-made kissel! This is one of tastes of my childhood. When I was a child my mother did for us kissel two ways: thick one as a dessert and liquid one as a drink. Usually it was made from apples but I found strawberry one the best.
In Poland kissel is also commonly served as a light meal while food poisoning (of course with smaller amount of sugar and without whipped cream).
Ingredients for 4-5 portions
- 400 ml strawberry purée (from fresh or frozen fruits)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2.5 - 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 cup water
- around 4 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
- whipped cream, orange zest and strawberry for decoration
1. Mix strawberry purée with sugar and orange zest.
2. Bring to boil half a cup of water. Rest of water combine with corn starch, then pour into purée.
3. Pour strawberry mixture into hot water and cook constantly stirring until liquid thickened.
4. Pour kissel to glasses and leave it to cool completely.
5. Cold desserts decorate with whipped cream, orange zest and strawberries.